The group’s ideology is neo-Nazi accelerationism. Accelerationists believe that the modern, post-industrial society cannot be redeemed. Instead, they believe it ought to be driven into apocalyptic collapse so a white ethnostate or whites-only utopia can be constructed in its wake.Southern Poverty Law Center, Extremist Files: Atomwaffen Division
Resources & links:
We include Atomwaffen Division here to represent a similar accelerationist stream within white supremacy, parallel to The Base.
- “Extremist Files: Atomwaffen Division,” Southern Poverty Law Center
- “Neo-Nazi Posters Spotted on Boston University’s Campus,” Kyle Scott Clauss, Boston Magazine, May 2, 2016
- “Inside Atomwaffen As It Celebrates a Member for Allegedly Killing a Gay Jewish College Student,” A.C. Thompson, Ali Winston, Jake Hanrahan, ProPublica, August 3, 2018
- “James Mason Announces Neo-Nazi Militant Group Is Disbanding,” Conor McCormick-Cavanaugh, Westword, March 17, 2020
- Despite claims early in 2020 that AWD was disbanding, some analysts believe this was a ruse to create breathing room for AWD members facing federal crackdowns