Nationalist Social Club-131 (131 is alphanumeric code for “Anti communist action”) is a neo-Nazi group started in Massachusetts in November 2019. NSC was started by Chris Hood, a known Boston area fascist from Malden who has been involved in the far right since he was about 16. Before starting NSC, Hood was a member of numerous increasingly extreme far right groups, such as the Proud Boys, the neo-fascist group Patriot Front, and the neo-Nazi group The Base. NSC brands itself as a neo-Nazi street gang formed to combat Jewish people, leftists, and anyone they deem “anti-white”. Their goal is to create a white ethnostate in New England. Several of their members have recently been arrested for charges such as illegal weapons charges and child pornography, and other members have been formerly served jail sentences for hate crimes. NSC’s main form of “activism” is graffiti, vandalism, and banner drops, but they have also conducted several flashmob demonstrations in which they held up racist and white supremacist themed banners. While NSC is currently only based in New England, primarily Massachusetts and New Hampshire, they formerly had chapters across the globe including in Texas, Appalachia, Germany, Virginia, and Indiana.
Their public Telegram channel features extremely racist, misogynistic, and homophobic/transphobic content as well as anti-Semitic conspiracy theories and extreme stereotypes similar to those promoted by the original Nazis. They proudly identify with the original Nazis and other historical racists including the KKK. Like many on the far right, they are particularly fixated on trans and gender non-conforming people. The group is also anti-police, despite relying on the protection of police at many of their actions. They promote the beliefs that Jews control the government and media, the police side with antifa, parts of New England are overrun by Black and Hispanic gangs, and anyone who opposes Nazis is a Communist. They claim to be both anti-communist and anti-capitalist, a fascist concept known as the “third position.” They see themselves as the “White Defense Force” preparing to defend white people from these dangers, and believe being very visible with a very extreme message helps them attract new members. They see northern New England as an ideal hub for racist organizing because it is demographically the whitest part of the US, and see the anti-vax/anti-mask and anti-BLM movements as recruiting opportunities.
NSC embraces Nazi imagery (sometimes “ironically” as in their name, a play on “national socialist movement”) and openly espouses white supremacist ideas and policy goals. NSC’s creation also marks the steady shift to more blatant racism by individuals who were previously involved in Boston Free Speech and/or Super Happy Fun America/Resist Marxism.
- “Officials call for help in addressing Nazi-connected stickers,” Dustin Luca, The Salem News, September 3, 2020
- “Neo-Nazi Street Fighting Gang Keeps Bragging About Attending Capitol Riot – Its leader, a known former member of a neo-Nazi terror group under an FBI crackdown, remains free” By Ben Makuch, March 23, 2021, Vice.com
- “Massachusetts Hate Group Had Role In Capitol Hill Riot – Founded by a former Malden man in 2019, NSC-131 has chapters around the world” By Dave Copeland, Patch StaffPosted Thu, Jan 7, 2021|Updated Fri, Jan 8, 2021
- “How a Terror Group Recruited Budding Neo-Nazis – Members of groups like Patriot Front and the Green Brigade told members of the Base they felt like the neo-Nazi terror cell was the next step” By Mack Lamoureux, Ben Makuch & Zachary Kamel Vice.com Nov. 24, 2020
- “Out from under their rock: Nazis fly their flag outside the State House,” Adam G, Universal Hub, June 27, 2020
- “A fairly devout group of Neo-Nazis.’ Local white supremacist group has been active in recent weeks”, Danny McDonald, Boston Globe, July 14 2020
- “Neo-Nazi Street Fighting Gang Keeps Bragging About Attending Capitol Riot“, Ben Makuch, March 23, 2021, Vice.com